Having just celebrated my 25th birthday, I’ve been reflecting on what I’ve learned thus far in life that I might not have known 5 or 10 years ago. While there’s wisdom to gain with every year, I think there’s no better way to ring in a quarter of a century than celebrating the life lessons I’ve already learned along the way.
Here’s 25 Lessons I’ve Learned:
- No one complains about aging quite like the young do.
- Womanhood introduces itself not through periods or sex, but through the reliability of gaining just a little bit of extra weight every year.
- Hurt People…hurt people.
- Female friendships are priceless…
- …housing in Seattle is not.
- Family is not excused from healthy boundaries.
- 9/10 times the boy will try to come back to the yard. Lock the gate.
- The universe is not a genie. It will provide when you prove you can handle what you’re asking for.
- There are few things that can’t be solved through food, wine, or crystals.
- It’s okay not to be invited to everything.
- It’s okay not to invite everyone to everything.
- Being strong feels better than being skinny.
- Don’t make assumptions.
- Don’t take things personally.
- You don’t have to live your life according to other people’s labels.
- There is so much conflict that can be solved by simply saying “You hurt my feelings.”
- Trust your intuition.
- Don’t waste time with people you don’t trust.
- Life’s too short to spend it in unhappy spaces.
- Most people are genuinely trying their best.
- Don’t let the fear of a reaction keep you from speaking the truth.
- The people you respect and love aren’t always right.
- It’s okay to say no.
- Don’t over invest in other people’s drama.
- You never know who or what will change your life. Say yes to the next adventure.